Born 1864 in Flint according to 1881 census. Married on census, aged 17. Widow at 1891 census. Family living at 25 Roskell Square Flint from at least 1881 to 1901. Died 1922. No record found of death of Ann Crabtree anywhere. Remarried with new surname?
Listed as master cabinet maker on son's wedding cert, so he was alive as of 27 Nov 1880. William - his son - (below) listed as living at Barden Cottage, Flint at time of marriage. Should actually be Bardyn Cottage - next to Roskell Square. No John Crabtree (cabinet maker) listed in 1901. No John Crabtree (Manchester) old enough in 1901. 1881 census via Salt Lake City has been searched for all John Crabtrees born in England and Wales between 1750 and 1838 (latest date John could have been born to have a son, William, born 1854 - only one John Crabtree (cabinet maker) and no others of similar occupation.. DETAILS ABOVE. The house at 59 Watkin Street is being occupied by a young couple/no kids in 1901 - could suggest John has died and house sold?
Married 27 NOV 1880 St. Mary's schools Flint. RC wedding
Ann Gives her age on the wedding cert. as 21, but she was only 17.
WILLIAM W. Crabtree ............................................................................................................. ANN Dodd
JAMES Lenard (Leonard) ............... HANNAH DODD
JOHN Crabtree ........... ?????
Born 1854 in Manchester according to 1881 census. Married on census, aged 27. Working as Chemical Labourer. Died after 1886 (daughter's birth) Wife listed as WIDOW on 1891 census.
(ABOVE) 1881 census taken only 6 months after he gave his daughter Ann Dodd away, shows James Leonard living in nearby Castle Street as a lodger. No evidence of his partner Hannah Dodd in the area. By 1891 he is dead and Hannah has moved in with William and Ann at No. 25 Roskell Square.
On certified copy of marriage cert of William Crabtree (BELOW) and his daughter Ann. James lenard is described as a chemical labourer - he lodged at Castle Street. His daughter (born out of wedlock) Ann (below) was living at 20 Roskell Square at time of marriage. On 1901 census this house is occupied by the Rush family. Only 4 James Lenards alive on 1901 census. See next page. Ann's mother was Hannah Dodd as per 1891 census, described as a widow in 1891. So she and James Leonard never married.
1881 census also has Anne's father, James Leonard, aged 60, from Ireland, living in as a lodger. Hannah Dodd, mother of above, also listed as living at 25 Roskell Sq on 1891 census, listed as widow.
Thomas Commins - lived at 8 Roskell Square, still there in 1901.
Margaret Heaney - No local heaneys in 1881, but a Margaret Haney, aged 20, is listed at Roskell Square.
The Right Reverend Richard Roskell (1817-1883)
Second Bishop of Nottingham 21 September 1853
to 10 October 1874
Motto: Ros Coeli (A shower from Heaven)
Richard Roskell was born in Gateacre, Liverpool in 15 August 1817 and educated at Ushaw and the Venerable English College in Rome. After ordination he served at St Patrick's Manchester, becoming Provost of the Salford Chapter and Vicar general of the Salford Diocese. On 29 July 1853 Provost Roskell was appointed the second Bishop of Nottingham and was ordained by Cardinal Wiseman on 21 September 1853 in the Cathedral.During the next twenty-one years the diocese expanded slowly but surely, as the bishop set up parishes and Mass centres with the help of religious orders and the expanding numbers of Secular Clergy in the diocese. Bishop Roskell attended the First Vatican Council, setting off for Rome in 1869, although he was suffering from cataracts in both eyes which made it impossible for him to read. In 1873 bishop Roskell offered his resignation as Bishop, but the Pope persuaded him to remain with the promise of a Coadjutor Bishop. After Fr Bagshawe had been appointed in 1874, Bishop Roskell offered to resign once more, and this time it was accepted. He retired as titular Bishop of Abdera to Glascoed in North Wales, and later to the Vale of Whitewell. He died on 27 January 1883 and was buried in the Churchyard of St Hubert's, Dunsop Bridge.
Known as living "Below The Line" - ie below the railway line. The chemical works where most of the Roskell residents worked was owned by the Muspratt & Huntley Alkali Co, and produced bleaching agents for the many nearby paper mills. The Muspratt family were from Liverpool but had strong connections with Ireland and so encouraged Irish folk to move to Flint in order to staff the industry. It was opened in 1852 and soon a large number of Irish workers arrived, some with their families. It became known as "Little Ireland" - even Gaelic was spoken in the area. However, as the years went by and the industry declined "below the line" began to get a bad reputation. Violence was common and there were more pubs there than in the rest of Flint. The bobbies had problems policing the area and there is a tradition in Flint that only a few policemen would go there alone. Roskell Square was quite a unique building for its time and was a block of houses built around a courtyard. In the 1950s, due its condition,
it had to be pulled down. In 1890 the Muspratt & Huntley Alkali works were bought by a Cheshire/Lancashire company - United Alkali - but after a couple of years they dismantled the place and Flint fell on hard times. Before the end of the century malnutrition and disease were a big problem and soup kitchens were set up. It was only the coming of the Glanstoff Company synthetic textile works in 1910 that a light was seen at the end of the tunnel. This was replaced by Courtaulds and the rest is history.